I am not a synesthete. I am just pretending to be one for the purpose of this blog post. Synesthesia is, according to Wikipedia, "a neurologically based condition in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway." An example of a synesthete is a person who automatically and involuntarily associates colors with certain numbers or letters.
In my previous synesthesia post, I matched some of my favorite fall and winter perfumes with items of vintage clothing I found on Etsy. I'm doing the same again, only this time with some of my favorite summer scents, and including vintage and reconstructed fashions from Etsy, as well as jewelry. This was fun for me--hope you enjoy!
Here's my current top summer scent rotation:
1. Etro Anice. A sweet, yet clean, black licorice scent. Like Good & Plenty candy, or better yet, a cool cocktail made with absinthe. Maybe I'm being too obvious, but this 1940s corde bag from BessGeorgette naturally makes me think black licorice.
2. Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca. A refreshing blend of mint, citrus, and grass. Sparkling mint green celluloid buckle from jeanjeanvintage.
3. Miller Harris En Sens de Bois is a woodsy vetiver scent. Vetiver is a tall, fragrant grass native to India that is often used to control soil erosion. It has an earthy, rather smoky scent that I love; many of my favorite perfumes include vetiver as a primary note. And I have to share this beautiful quote from vetiver.org: "Indian poets referred to vetiver scent as 'the smell of the first monsoon shower on parched soil', and 'the perfume of a rejuvenated earth.'" Moss green lace and satin dress from DearGoldenVintage.
4. CB I Hate Perfume Memory of Kindness. Probably my favorite summer scent. Very simple--smells like tomato leaves. Not tomatoes, but the plant. Heavenly. 1950s tomato red Lilli Diamond dress with a leafy print, from clostetcaseVNTG.
5. Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo Foglie di Basilico. Straight up basil leaf. 1950s kelly green cocktail dress by missfarfalla.
6. Hermes Hermessence Rose Ikebana. I am not a big fan of floral scents, but I do like the scent of rose, especially when it's blended with something zingy like--in this case--rhubarb. Rhubarb rose chalcedony pearl necklace from fiveforty.
7. L'Occitane Verbena. A sparkling lemony verbena scent, hugely refreshing and energizing, and probably my most-worn summer scent. The matching scented Soothing Body Ice Gel is one of my summer must-haves. Shimmery 1960s pale yellow silk shantung beaded cocktail dress from HinterlandVintage.
8. Rosine Un Zest de Rose. A lemony rose scent (see my comments about Rose Ikebana). Pretty reconstructed rose pink dress from AdelaideHomesewn.